Bianca Gartner

Bianca is a sophomore Environmental Sciences major with minors in Geography and Journalism. She is an intern at the Southeastern Wind Coalition (SEWC) in charge of designing and disseminating information on social media.

Q: Describe a typical day at your job.

A: “Usually I’m just on my computer wherever I am at the time, just working through the content that I’ve been sent, figuring out how to get it out to people, in what format, and on what platforms. ”

Q:  What past work experience do you have in clean-tech?

A:  “I interned with Environment North Carolina. I worked on the campaign to protect funding for state parks. We organized campus and community events, gathered photo-petitions to Tweet at governor McCrory, we sent weekly letters to the editor and one op ed about our campaign focus, and we gathered a coalition of businesses onto a letter to also deliver to the governor in defense of funding for state parks.”

Q:  What skills did you need to learn that other job-hunters should cultivate?

A:  “All this skills I needed were ones I gained just by actually doing the job.  So the “skill” per say would be a willingness to work and try anything – thats really what will get you places. ”

Q:  Describe a time you messed up at work or were uncertain of what to do.  What happened?  How did you handle it?  What did you learn?

A:  “One time, we were given a list of 60 people, and I was told to call the people, and try to get them to sign up for a newsletter. I didn’t know I only had to call for two hours, so I ended up spending something like 6 hours on the phone trying to speak to every person on the list.  It was just insane, but I did it because that was the better alternative to not doing enough.  I always handle these situations–if I cant just ask a question to clarify–by going above and beyond.”

Q:  What is the #1 thing you wish you’d known earlier during job-hunting?

A:  “Always be applying to everything.   Always keep your eyes peeled because that will help a lot in the long run.”